St. Elisabeth’s Church, serves a large parish of 12,000 people and was consecrated in 1883. Since 2004 it has been a grade one listed building. It is fortunate in possessing one of the finest pipe organs in the country, which was built at the same time as the church by the top organ builder of the time, Hill and Son of London. It is a testimony to the quality and national importance of the instrument that the original opening recital was played by the then organist of Westminster Abbey.
The organ has been in constant use since 1883, for accompanying Sunday services, for weddings, baptisms, funerals as well as concerts and other functions. There can be few families in Reddish for whom the organ at St. Elisabeth’s has not been played, at one of life’s great events over the last 120 years.